Thursday, January 10, 2013

We are a Healthier Family

We moved to the Seattle area last March. Since that time, our little family has had the longest stretch of time where we've all been healthy. 



I realized this, because I have to do some research (finally) and find a pediatrician for Tali here! She hasn't had to even go to Urgent Care, not once.

I started thinking about what we changed, and I've come to a few realizations. 

I cleaned out our pantry of all the JUNK when we left Atlanta:

  1. Gluten: we have no gluten in the house, save for a treat here and there for Tali.
  2. Oil: I stopped cooking with oil other than coconut oil
  3. Dairy: my half & half, otherwise we have no dairy. Coconut Milk, Almond Milk, Goat Cheese-that's it
  4. Grass fed: Beef
  5. Organic: Vegetables, Fruits, Chicken
  6. Local/Sustainable: Wild Caught Fish, Honey
  7. Canned Goods: I don't buy them. I buy Pomi for shelf stable tomatoes for sauces, etc. otherwise, I use fresh.
When we were in Atlanta, Tali had a drawer in the fridge with yogurt tubes, string cheese, etc. When we moved, we cut that out. We also cut out a lot of the shelf stable super processed snack foods, too.

Organic non-GMO snacks she eats now:
  • Applesauce
  • Carrots
  • Bananas
  • Apples
  • Raisins
  • Almonds with Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (soy/dairy/gluten free)
  • Berries

As most of you know, Beau is gluten-intolerant and eats a mostly Paleo diet. When we moved, it was a good opportunity for me to selectively "get rid of" a lot of the things that were making us feel bad, adding fats, calories etc. to our bodies and chemicals, too.

I fully believe this change has had a significant impact on our health and immune systems :)

No comments: