Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Top 7 Examples of Bad User Experience

I recently had a client looking for a very senior User Experience Designer to add to their team. In my quest for this person, I started asking myself ...

"what really makes a great user experience designer?"

Along the way, I remembered my own first experiences in college.

I feel old typing this. But, "when I went to college".. it was 1994
  • We were using dBase on an Apple II
  • We used CorelDraw 4 & 5 on our friend's computer he had in his dorm room. Having a computer and that newest expensive software? Was a HUGE deal-it was super $$$.
Back then, was the birth of the web. Not everyone had cell phones, either. SHOCKING!!

Today, we visit websites and apps via our tablets, mobile phones and anywhere we have a connection. I am going to come right out with it..

EVERY company
needs User Experience people


2012 eCommerce & B2C facts

Percentage of online shoppers that base their opinions on a website 
by the design of the site alone

42%

Percentage of online shoppers that did not return to a site 
based on the site aesthetics: 

52%

My 7 top examples of Bad User Experience and User Interface Design
  • Mobile "optimized" site - that looks like a table of contents
  • Flash - I have an iPhone, iPad and a MacBook
  • Pop Up Ads - I click to close them. Period.
  • Flashing Banner Links - again, it looks like an ad and I will not click
  • Site Consistency - your user needs to feel comfortable
  • Auto Play Video - huge problem on major media/magazine sites
  • Keep it simple - the best design is often the most clean

I'm considering switching banks. A good percentage of my frustration is their UI and UX on their website.

What sites frustrate you? What else would you add to my list?




*I registered for Stanford University HCI classes to dive deeper into Human Computer Interaction. They start sometime in February!

Once it starts, I'll be writing on the blog to let all of you know how the class is going!

Here's a nice 2012 B2C Color Infographic from the folks at: The Infographics


No comments: